NASA’s Lucy Trojan Asteroid Mission Invitations You to Originate Your Maintain Time Capsule
Where will you be and what’s going to you be up to in August of 2027? What about March of 2033? launching in October 2021, the Lucy spacecraft will plug for 12 years, observing one fundamental belt asteroid and seven Trojan asteroids. These asteroids are billions of years passe and the remnants of planet formation, serving as conventional time capsules from our early photo voltaic diagram. Trapped of their exact orbits, the Trojans invent two “swarms” that lead in entrance of and path tiresome the planet
Where will you be and what’s going to you be up to in August of 2027? What about March of 2033? The NASA Lucy mission invitations you discover along with Lucy on this 12-twelve months plug by constructing your very occupy #LucyTimeCapsule. What’s going to you build in yours? Credit rating: NASA’s Goddard House Flight Center
What objects, sounds, tips, or phrases will aid as recollections for you and your loved ones to earn relieve upon as Lucy carries out its mission into the next decade? What is “so” 2021? Will it be the puny one shoes your puny one ideal outgrew? Per chance you’ll print off the Trojan asteroid trading playing cards. What about your comfy sweatpants? A image of your pet gerbil? But no longer your actual pet gerbil! A recent favorite recipe for lasagna? But no longer the true lasagna! You rep the basis.
What’s going to you build in your Lucy Time Capsule?
Snatch a reusable and a container with a high, love a shoebox, a tennis ball canister, or a freezer fetch, and occupy it up!
What’s going to remind you of the twelve months that Lucy launches?
Point to NASA your Lucy TimCapsule!
Put up a photograph, drawing, video or other description of your Lucy Time Capsule on social media (Twitter, Fb or Instagram) and utilize the hashtag #LucyTimeCapsule. If a put up catches NASA’s glimpse, we would possibly per chance perchance re-part it on our social media accounts.
Words of Wisdom
Lucy is carrying a time capsule of its occupy within the invent of a plaque, inscribed with quotes and poems from songwriters, authors and poets. After its 12-twelve months mission, the spacecraft will continue orbiting the Sun, traveling between Earth and the Trojan asteroids for hundreds of thousands, if no longer millions, of years. The Lucy crew placed the plaque on the spacecraft with hopes that our descendants would possibly per chance perchance one day retrieve Lucy and be taught of the early days of humanity’s exploration of the photo voltaic diagram.
What message or phrases of wisdom would you encompass to your Lucy Time Capsule to your future self and family to earn? Write it down in a letter to yourself to come to a decision on your recollections and messages. Tuck it into your shoebox, too. Or tape it to the exterior, ideal love a plaque!
Revisit your Lucy Time Capsule and continue to add to it!
At each and every of the Lucy mission milestones and asteroid encounters, we’ll be taking a day out down reminiscence lane, and invite you to be part of us. Look relieve to your Lucy Time Capsule. How occupy you ever modified? How has the arena modified? What has stayed the identical? Where will you be for the next milestone?
Even as you’re in there, add something contemporary to brand the occasion! Don’t neglect to put up your thoughts and additions to social media with the hashtag #LucyTimeCapsule.
Heed these Lucy Mission Milestone dates to your calendar:
- October 15, 2022 – Lucy has its first Earth flyby and gravity relief to take up tempo.
- December 12, 2024 – Lucy has its 2d Earth flyby and gravity relief, sending the spacecraft out toward the Trojan asteroids.
- April 20, 2025 – Lucy flies by the principle belt asteroid (52246) Donaldjohanson.
- August 12, 2027 – Lucy has its first encounter with out a longer one, but two(!), Trojan asteroids: Eurybates (3548) and its satellite, Queta.
- September 15, 2027 – Lucy flies by the Trojan asteroid Polymele (15094).
- April 18, 2028 – Lucy flies by the Trojan asteroid Leucus (11351).
- November 11, 2028 – Lucy flies by the Trojan asteroid Orus (21900) after which heads relieve toward Earth.
- December 25, 2030 – Lucy has its third Earth flyby and gravity relief after which heads out toward the Trojan asteroids trailing Jupiter.
- March 3, 2033 – Lucy flies by the binary pair Patroclus and Menoetius.
- 2033 and beyond – Lucy continues to orbit the Sun, passing thru the alternating Trojan swarms for hundreds of thousands, if no longer millions, of years!